Grades K-2 (pdf)
- Primary Social Studies - Tiered Lesson on overcoming obstacles
- 1st Grade Language Arts - Sternberg's Intelligences on writing
- 1st Grade Science - RAFT on states of matter
- 2nd Grade Language Arts - Sternberg's Intelligences on developing characters
- 2nd Grade Language Arts - Tiered Lesson on writing
- 2nd Grade Social Studies - Learning Contract on Native Americans
- 2nd Grade Math - Tiered Lesson on polygons
- 2nd Grade Math - Tiered Lesson on number patterns
- 2nd Grade Science - RAFT on magnets
Grades 3-5 (pdf)
Grades 6-8 (pdf)
- 6th Grade Life Science - RAFT on biological relationships
- 7th Grade U.S. History - Sternberg's Intelligences on immigration
Grades 9-12 (pdf)
- 9th Grade Earth Science - Learning Contract on severe weather
- 9th Grade World History - Learning Contract on the Reformation
- 10th-12th Grade Chemistry - Tiered Lesson on stoichiometry
- 10th-12th Grade Chemistry - RAFT on atomic theory
- 10th-12th Grade Chemistry - Sternberg's Intelligences on changes of state
- 11th Grade American History - Sternberg's Intelligences on muckraking
Lesson Plan Templates
Thoughts from Fellow Teachers
- Differentiated Instruction Take Away Learning
Karolyn Ahern, a Library Media Specialist, summarizes and shares her lessons learned after a 3-year, school-wide focus on Differentiated Instruction.
- Central Ground: The Teaching Mantra
Bill McAllister, Faculty Consultant at the University of Virginia, sums up life lessons he has learned while teaching college students. He attributes much of his growth to lessons that his students have taught him.
Faculty have found that by using Profcast, they can post their lectures complete with their Powerpoints online. Profcast is easy to use, but there is a small cost involved.
To make it easier for students to access appropriate research sites in class, you may want to create your own Portaportal site. This free site lists any websites you might want to "bookmark" for students. To see one that was used for multiple classes, log on as a guest and use "jgb6t" to see an example.
- What is the Concept Development Model? - pdf of ppt
- When managing a differentiated classroom, many strategies can help us along the way - pdf
- How do we incorporate differentiation into higher education courses?
View our collection of video clips featuring experts who offer a variety of insights and suggestions on using differentiated instruction.
Podcasts - Educational Insights: Teaching for Today with Steve Decker
Scroll down for the 3-part interview with Dr. Carol Tomlinson. Other podcasts worth noting include the interview with Rick Wormeli on assessing and grading in a differentiated classroom.
- Video - A Visit to a Differentiated Classroom DVD and Online Viewer’s Guide
This video shows a day in the life of a 3rd/4th grade class taught by Judy Rex, an expert at differentiating instruction.
- Video - At Work in the Differentiated Classroom DVD and Facilitator's Guide
This video series includes information on planning curriculum and instruction, managing a differentiated classroom as well as how to teach for learner success. The example classrooms are engaging and helpful for administrators and teachers when learning about differentiation.
- Video - The Common Sense of Differentiation DVD and Facilitator’s Guide
This video series examines ways to discover learners’ needs using various pre-assessment and on-going assessment techniques, ways of addressing learners’ varied needs, and classroom routines that support differentiated instruction.